1. Centering: In Pilates, all movement originates from the center of the body, the powerhouse. The powerhouse consists of the deepest core muscles which support the spine. Pilates, practiced consistently helps you strengthen these muscles. The added bonus is a toned, strong and flexible body!
2. Concentration: Get out of your head and focus on the movement of your body. Concentration allows you to achieve maximum results. Turn off that cell phone and make it all about you!
3. Control: In Pilates slow and steady wins the race. Control is key to performing the exercises correctly. Control is what makes Pilates a safe and effective method of movement.
4. Breathing: Conscious and specific breathing patterns assist movement by delivering oxygen to the muscles being used. The coordination of breath with movement helps connect the body and mind allowing for more graceful, controlled and coordinated movement.
5. Precision: Proper form is essential to achieve maximum benefit and avoid injury. “A few well-designed movements properly performed in a balanced sequence are worth more than hours of doing sloppy calisthenics.” Joseph Pilates.
6. Flowing movement: An exercise should have precise motion emphasizing grace and control. Pilates movement is smooth and dynamic!